Saturday, October 25, 2008

mixed up :)

So I was in Bangalore yesterday, shopping for Diwali.Being a full fledged foodie as already said in my previous posts, I was in one of the newly opened super markets. Ambiance was great, there were ladies (yeah droolable ones, but would have looked better sans the "rakhi sawant ishtyle" lipstick :)) with haldi kumkum in their hands to welcome customers. More than ready directors who eagerly took care of our needs in every section and helped us locate what we needed, saving us the effort of gliding through the frictionless polished marble floor.My mom and I were assisted by one Mr. E(short for enthusiastic guy).

I love jam, any flavour, and would always feel more than happy to taste any new entrants. The conversation went like this (mom was busy checking out offers and freebies in another section)between Mr.E and me:

Mr.E : Hello Madam, how may I help you?

Me : was grinning from ear to ear for being addressed as 'Madam'. Respect never hurts man :) Err.. hi.. was just checking out new flavours in jams.

Mr.E: who was looking down until now as though he was searching for a lost 500-rupee note, suddenly looked up and gave a not-so-okay look. Then gave a sly smile. We just had chocolate flavour jam yesterday madam. New entry in our store. Try it. And do give us your feedback.

Me: I have never been asked for feedback except at college to lie about the wonderful teaching of our professors in the feedback form so I happily nodded my head already tasting choco jam mentally :) Please put it in the basket sir and send it for billing. I'll go catch up with my mom.

Mr.E: still with the same sly smile OK madam, happy to help.

I go away, suspecting nothing, and wait with mom by my side for the billing counter to pack us off soon. Guess what I find in the place of Jam..
A box of cookies ....
No
A Cadbury's Celebrations family pack...
No
A teddy bear ( chocolate colour)
No
come on.. guess...




A BOX OF CONDOMS!!!!!( yeah, err..I suppose chocolate flavour :D).How on earth am I supposed to know that the shop used the code word "jam" for "condoms" ( now dont ask me the connection between the two, if you got any clue, let me know). My mom was aghast and asked "Pre, why do YOU need this? ",(giving me a you-need-more -knowledge-about-eighth-standard-biology-look) . I tried to look less stupid and more mature (I tell you I felt like a combination of George Bush and Mr.Beans on a holiday with Mamta)and explained what actually happened. We both laughed it off later, and asked the super market people to be more careful with their code words. People in search of condoms will obviously help themselves and not be so tawdry about it like me. Another point,not all mothers will be casual, and not all people will ward this off lightly with a sense of humour :).

Yay Yay Yay!!! my sister is home for Diwali. Family of four together for Diwali after four years (all four are in India, South India, just that it never clicked).Will have real fun. You guys and girls also have a super Diwali with family and friends (the ones in US dont worry, have virtual fun!!!)and yeah play safe( err.. with the crackers of course)!!!


42 comments:

Mamta said...

Hi! Just stumbled upon your block. First of all , have a happy diwali!
I am sure the codeword mess would have been uncomfortably crazy. What makes me laugh even more is what the salesman would have thought when you actually openly told him you were "CHECKING OUT JAM FLAVOURS"... He He He

Mamta said...

Oh and yea btw.. My mom was born and brought up in Trichy.. so the moment i read trichy on your blog, it kindled nostalgic memories of long childhood summer vacations spent at my grandmother's place there.

Anonymous said...

but did you buy the choco flavoured box is the question?

Revs said...

LOL!!!
i can soooo imagine the flabbergasted expression on aunty's face!! :D
she musta been thinking "kalmoohi, kalankini, yeh tune kya kiya? kis kis ka ppap paal rahi hai"!!
ROFL!!
Nice post!!
Happy Diwali to u too!! :)

Karthik said...

Ha ha Ha.. Lol.. Am to floor!!!

(giving me a you-need-more -knowledge-about-eighth-standard-biology-look) . I tried to look less stupid and more mature (I tell you I felt like a combination of George Bush and Mr.Beans on a holiday with Mamta)

LMAO.... Does 'mamta' refers to the first commenter??

Happy Diwali!!!!

Anonymous said...

ROFL...super hilarious...mixed up indeed!! :D
Now coming to the "Jam"...hehe...from the time you asked //now dont ask me the connection between the two, if you got any clue, let me know// within braces to the time I finished reading this fab post, "Happy Diwali by the way!!" my mind had analyzed your question with a simple answer!!! I was surprised too!! :P
Well...It could be due to the fact that these condoms cause a "traffic jam" in there, never allowing the inmates to reach their destination!! ;)
Btw, which mall??? let me see if i can debug the code!! :P

PJ: Only crackers are expected to burst on time, not the "Jams"!!
I know that sucked...jesus! :D
Have a good and safe time...

Anonymous said...

I dont understand why the author is polluting today's youth with thoughts of condom. Please stop reading such social evil posts.

Hemanth Potluri said...

hhahaha...rofl preeti...i am rolling on the floor let me come out of it to comment again :P..

urs..hemu..

Karthik said...

Yeah Preti.. I do remembr!!! Thnks fr droping in ur comment!!! And the blog i deleted bcox it dint receive response like Kuselan and i'm devoted to my new blog wic s to an overwhelming(?!!!!?!!) response!! Hope u'll like it as its where am into my style!! thanks fr ur visit!!!

http://nxgmobz.blogspot.com

Karthik said...

@ Anonymous may be he must b lacking humour sense or wud be blinking and unable to recognise if Humour slaps him right at his face!! R u relative to narasimarao???

Preeti said...

@mamta
thanks buddy :) yeah the salesman would ve thought I am a desperate housewife or a spoiled teenager :):)I am no more at Trichy mate. But do go there every month. Welcome home when I am there :):)cheers :)


@chriz
yaar, my counterpart's headache to buy after three years (minimum) :):)


@revs
hehe :) you know aunty too well :) even if she s silent, you'd die to trigger her up:) dawg. thanks!!


@karthik
thanks buddy!! and er.. mamta is the nano messed up gal :):)


@sreeram
Well...It could be due to the fact that these condoms cause a "traffic jam" in there, never allowing the inmates to reach their destination!! ;)
OMG, you got brains man.. you think hatke :):)yeah, may be. congrats.. you already cracked the code. and shhh.. will mail you the mall name ( go and check out if it lasts till such time you make a trip to Blore )

Your PJ made me laugh :):) yeah am a sad person with an equally sick sense of humour :):) thanks buddy :)

Preeti said...

@anonymous
what century are you in Mr ya Ms anony?? yeah, in schools nowadays its a for apple b for balls and c for condoms :) grow up .. and I am not cribbing for you not reading my 'social evil' posts. have the guts to show up and comment. gimme your blog url(if any) so that I can gain sense on "how to be a perfect youth icon" :)

Preeti said...

@hemanth
take your own time buddy :):)

@karthik
thanks for the support:) and who cares abt the anon.. just chill :):)

Unknown said...

hahaha...but u should have got a sense of the "chocolate" when the guy was explaining it to u uneasily...

anyways sad that S is out of the country....i wouldnt want to elaborate further...u get it....i know..dont pretend...

Black Panther said...

If I was ROFL reading your post, I was (ROFL)^2 after reading mr.anon's comment :):) you are a Evil Social Polluter :D :D

Solitaire said...

LOL!!!!!!! And here I was wondering how chocolate flavored jam would taste! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKS!

Anil Sawan said...

:-)
I was laughing when I rolled down from your post to the comments and I am still laughing! You guys rock!! The entire blogosphere rock :-)

I just wish someone clicked your expression when you actually saw the pack of "chocolate jam" ;-)

Keshi said...

hahahahahaha! Jam? Seriously???

So wut do they call Jam then? Condoms? LOL!


Keshi.

Keshi said...

Sol mebbe Pineapple Jam flavored Condoms mite be nice who knows!

Keshi.

Priya Joyce said...

ha ha ha ....my God ..lol and lol and lol on tat..
ha ha its muss hav been a kindaa weird+funny experience..lol

hay gal I got the son on imeem and am steeling..oops pj is a copy cat..lol

:)
happy Diwali in advance..

Anil Sawan said...

Preetz: Check my new post. U got something there.

Tara said...

Ha ha ha...So funny!! People and their code words, no wonder that guy was feeling so weird! ;D Good, that your mother took it well, she's a very mature lady, must say! She could have taken it otherwise! Nice post!

PS. Happy Diwali to you and your family! Have a great time! :)

Preeti said...

@palani
:D

@black panther
yeah :( preeti is a polluter :( air pollution, water pollution now preeti pollution ( sad joke, by a sad person :))

@solitaire
hahahaha :)

@sawan
huh, it was an unpercievable expression :) as though I had just swallowed three cups of castor oil mixed with vinegar :):)
thanks man!!

@keshi
Sol mebbe Pineapple Jam flavored Condoms mite be nice who knows!
ROFL :)

@PJ
thanks buddy :) I dont mind copy cats. Happy something from here is good enough to be copied :):)

@sawan
will see :)

@tara
thanks for visiting!! my pleasure :)

Mamta said...

Hi Preeti! I would definitely frequent your blog. I like your style of writing. Do keep visiting mine too :)

Mamta said...

@kartik..
I dint quite understand what your comment ment!

vanilla sky said...

LOL!! and they asked for feedback!
quite an experience!

happy diwali !

Preeti said...

@mamta
sure thing buddy :)

@vanilla
hehe :)

Karthik said...

Happy Diwali Preeti! Check my new post where i've a spl thanks for you!!!

Anjuli said...

you had me laughing sooo hard at this entry!!! Totally hilarious!! :)

Thanks for your comment.

Preeti said...

@karthik
hehe :) thanks :)

@anjuli
thanks for visiting!!!

vinny said...

O M G !!! Thanks for this info, btw, what is this about codewords in supermarkets..that way everyone will be in for a surprise after any grocery shopping:) :)
I would have been thrown out of my house..probably married Mr. E..thanks to his choco 'jam' !!

Loved this post..am gonna blogroll u, if u dont mind

Nikhil Menon said...

hey preeti...first tymer in this space..cool yaar..and btw,u in nitt??anyways,train f thoughts was awesome and so was this..
addin ya to my floaters..

rock n babe..

cheers.. :)

Preeti said...

@vin
was shocked myself man.. i think its not in all the grocery shops though :) err.. for your info, Mr E was cute-lookin :):) thanks for visiting :):)

@multimenon
thanks buddy!!!err. my dad was in NIT T :) I was oversmart so they threw me out. Their place required lesser calibred people:)
kiddin man.. hope my dad doesn read this. He will surely disown me :):)

S said...

ROFl... way too hilarious.. and which supermarket was that which u were in... guess they shoild have been filtered idiots coining such code words......!!!

--giving me a you-need-more -knowledge-about-eighth-standard-biology-look) ---- LMHO...

Cheers..!!!

S

Preeti said...

thanks S. thanks for visiting :)

Kartz said...

:D :D :D

@Anonymous
Please... Grow up.

Preeti said...

@kartz
haah, forget it :):)

Sruthisagar Yamunan said...

I thought the code word was 'baloon'.....too bad they change it pretty quickly! LOL...

Preeti said...

@twisted elegance
:D

Suresh Kumar said...

Now, I knew about coding and inventory requirements. But these kind of coding was never aware of. Lots of Laughter. :)

Preeti said...

@suresh
:D thanks for dropping by !!:)

à®®ேவி... said...

he he he....

i know the so called connection b/w jam and condom.

but its not worth typing...

anyways good post.