Friday, October 16, 2009

HAPPY DIWALI (atleast) to you :/

CAUTION: Rant ahead , with a footnote of Diwali wish (author shamelessly admits the wish is a formality, just typed out and not from her heart).
So, here I am stuck for Diwali in an alien land, infested with contractor and customer shouting into each ear ( thank god for just two ears), without family, without friends ( just a couple of colleagues who got no other choice but to befriend me as they are also lonely souls out here). No crackers, no amma's food, no meeting sister even after six long months, no seeing he ayyan pattasu ad every fifteen minutes, no temple (no regrets there though) and just having loneliness to accompany my shadow which is also full of empty. Let me talk about one good thing of not being at home for Diwali.. No OIL BATH. I shudder at the very thought of that. I am a proud hydrophobic and it really takes a toll on me to scrub myself oil free and my mother will put so much oil on my cute little head that a whole ravenous bunch of 50 people can fry papads and eat for a month (no exaggeration). There should be some statement in kumudham or anantha vikatan ( amma's bible, though the first rank between the two books keeps swapping, in direct proportion to "true" and "unbelievable" facts in them) that applying hair oil leads to cholesterol or something equally sensible (remember this author always talks sense :)).
And the worst part is when I get a call from L and she says:
L: Hey vetti, so having fun at site na? We software people are so busy and life does not give time to breathe.
Me: L, I am with customer, can I get back?
L: I am free on two days before and after Diwali re.. call me then. Good you are in a public sector. You will get so much time for yourself.
Me(getting so aarrrgghhh like when Mallika Sherawat is asked to wear clothes): Please L, its been ages since I forgot what time means, forget for oneself.
L: Yeah I know you always want for more. Remember what you always say,"man is the peculiar of all, who always wants for what is not".
Me; L, shut the gyan up before I freak out.. chal bye.
L: ok ok nautanki.. buh bye
But she is so busy that she ultimately hangs the phone up only after fifteen minutes, when I have already put the phone in my pocket and doing my work. Dah.. do software people love monologues???
Anyways, cutting the crap and rant, I wish you all a very Happy Diwali :):) Enjoy have fun and dont hog too much.. Remember there's this malnourished kid in Bhilai :(:(:(

5 comments:

saravana babu said...

Have coal full deepavali..
I hope ur L is not a CEO ..
& atleast take bath to satisfy your moms deepavali appetence.

Jack said...

Preeti,

How was Diwali away from home? I feel you must have missed a lot. You are right, on such festive occassions we should also remember those who are less privileged than us and do something for them.

Take care

Keshi said...

All our 'fun' Diwalis take different shapes and colors over the years, as we keep getting older and get out there in the big wide world.

Nevertheless I hope u had an 'illuminating' Diwali my dearest Preetz! :)

Keshi.

Sree said...

Stuck in far land Bhilai eh?!! Sigh!!!
Happy diwali buddy!! :)
Crackers nahi toh cracks yelling in your ears (thank god, only 2) hi sahi!! :P
Hum IT wale baatein bahut karte hey...thats one thing we dont like to outsource! ;)

Unknown said...

Hi Preethi... i concur with saravana...pls do take bath once in a while to prevent making life miserable for ppl around you...:)

happy belated diwali greetings!