Saturday, October 31, 2009

I just have to write because I feel like...

Anger
frustration
disturbance
disgust
weakness
helplessness
fear
irritation
hatred
.
.
.
.
.
What do I do if I get all these feelings at once? This is the conversation that took place between me and a security personnel, at the gate some few meters in front of our site office:

He: oye oye oye

Me: (used to such calls from sexually starved men, turned a cold shoulder as usual, not to blame them totally as I am the only yin among 2000 yang)

He: hello hello madam..

Me: madam, this word made me go back to him. Yes?

He: aap kahan kaam kar rahen hain? (where do you work).

Me: XYZ

He: aap ab kahan jaa rahen hain? (where are you going now?)

Me: site office

He; XYZ ka office udhar nahin hain. sach bolo kahan jaa rahi ho? (there s no site office there. tell me the truth as to where you are going).
and here the 'you' changed from plural to singular( this is one point where I love the English language, you dont have to bother whether the person is calling you the singular you or the plural one, it doesnt even matter). This reflected many things like he had an element of doubt regarding my basic character.No, this is not my figment of imagination, there is no circuited reason- I am a Sagittarian, and I cant imagine.Simple as that. I cannot describe the tone with which he asked and sent goose flesh on my skin. I felt so humiliated. Unless you be Me I am sure its tough to feel the magnitude of the issue. But I hope this is making some sense atleast. I mean hope you get the point and intensity of the words uttered by him.I agree, a security personnel's job is to ensure safety to company's property and check everyone's identity. Not talk like a third rated person, who cannot identify the person who's been working at site for a month continuously now. This is not yet another save women rant, never shall i vouch for such feelings, but yeah, I expect people to respect me, as a person, as a human, as an Engineer and at last, as a Woman.I gave a cold look and kept walking saying " get elite, XYZ office has been there for the past one year, unless you have shifted it overnight".
Somehow, I am still disturbed. Why ME?

11 comments:

Anil Sawan said...

why dont u go ahead and complain? ter is nothing wrong in using ur rights. even if the watch man dsnt recognize an employee, he shud atleast know which all firms have their office in the biulding. if not he is NOT FIT for the job.

Sree said...

Pure nonsense...he wouldnt be knowing about the secy u...pass him your blog link!! ;)
no point arguing with such mango ppl!! ;)

vanilla sky said...

Its like getting little power and behaving like 'watever'
forget it, these security people are a menace at times.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jack said...

Preeti,

One has to remember intellectual level of such guards. Most of them are under matric and have not interacted with persons of higher caliber. Also their training is far below required standards. Please do get over it. I too have faced such situations a number of times and had to use patience to deal with such persons.

Take care

Prasun Guha said...

Poor P3........
Just ask urself "why preeti..?? Why no one else..??"

Just ask urself preeti...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matangi Mawley said...

:D ... happens all the time!
only seeing a few ppl.. security ppl get reminded of the fact that they are 'security' ppl!
it has happened with me too..

I had just joined this project and my name had not been added to the 'key register list'. only on having our name there, u get access to the project key..

there is this other girl who joined with me.. whose name was not added either..

but only on seeing me- this security guard feels like checking the list.. for the other girl.. he doesn't bother!

why me preethi??? why us??? :D

Vignesh C said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vignesh C said...

Female chauvinism :P Jokes apart, these things are continuing to happen..

Hope, a complaint will be much better along with this post :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.