Friday, August 14, 2009

wow wow wow :)

Hey dudes and dudettes and more dudes :), I am now living in Corfu, a small island near England. Homo Sapiens are a rare commodity here. Feeling really out of place. All that I can see here are peasants and their families. Olives are a major cultivation here. You know what?? There is no concept of a 'bathroom', everything is mingled with nature.. I have grown accustomed to that too and dont feel conscious when a lizard, or a scorpion or a spider er.. checks me out.
My fauna friends here are Quasimodo, a very naughty pigeon, a pair of tortoises ( I call them achilles and acillio) who are so close to me that they give me permission when they are in physical confluence, A scorpion ( my mom does not like her much because she keeps spilling her hard laid eggs all over our dining table) two water snakes ( my sister really minds them taking bath with her, dunno whats the big deal.. I cant let my snakes get a heat stroke). And when ever I get a new species, I rush to Theodore (my scientist friend) who has given me a microscope and we rush in the fields and get excited over new fauna every time and again.
I have learnt to befriend sea-gulls too. When I once went boating, an escaped convict had a gull with him. He wanted me to have his Alecko (sea-gull) because he was turning out to be a nightmare and keeps coming back to him for food, and the convict was finding it increasingly difficult to give the police a slip with a hungry whining gull. When I bought that home, Mom and sister mistook it to be an albatross and wanted me to dispose it off soon. An Albatross, for the ignorant, is supposed to bring very bad luck to the family (remember the high school poem Rime Of The Ancient Mariner???).
Now to flora. Did you know there arises conflicts between flowers too??? Daisy family is really very arrogant and are usually clustered. One day, I put a single red rose in a vase full of white daisies. The rose was about to breath her last, when I sprinkled some aspirin water on her and put her in a separate place. Whew... Daisies should learn to behave themselves.
Now, Hang on..I hear my cell phone beep.. But there are no cell phones here at corfu..oh my god... I just come to the shocking realisation that the book MY FAMILY AND OTHER ANIMALS by Gerald Durrell Has actually transported me to Corfu.
So take this as an Independence Day advice and grab the book soon,.. else you know me, Preeti Bites :):)
JAI HIND :):):)

9 comments:

iselldreams said...

Sounds like an interesting one!

Jack said...

Preeti,

You really took us on a fantasy trip. Beautifully narrated and it is only at end we realise you are giving this out of a book. I while nearing end thought you would say " then I woke up ".

Hope to see you in my space too.

Take care

I'll try 2 be truthful said...

oh wow someone is going places :) that was quite an insight about the arrogant daisies :P :D but overall befriending sea gulls seems like out of this world thing :)

meanwhile Happy Independence Day :)

Priya Joyce said...

Happy Independence Day dear :):)

vanilla sky said...

You have awesome style of introducing books!
I remember your on post on The story of Pi.

Anil Sawan said...

for a moment i thought like " this grl touches her feet in all remooooote areas"!! :P happy independence day swts :) so wer r ya now? blor or bhil?

Unknown said...

sounds like such a boring book...:(

Richa said...

:D
tera isshtyle sabse alag hai :D
happy belated independence day :D

aur tera phone kyon switched off hai??

:P
miss u ;)

Preeti said...

@isel
thanks for visitn after sooooo long :)

@jack
thanks a lot :):) yeah, then I woke up...

@amrita
hey dearie welcome after so long :):) glad you liked it..

@PJ
:):)

@vanilla sky
always happieto have you here and cherish my posts so much.. this means a really relaly lot to me :):) thanks for encouragement always !!:)

@ram
dah.. you need a break from wipro matey to see the green green world waiting for you outside :):)

@richa
abbe i called you this morning.. couldn hear anything except hello hello... huh....