Sunday, April 26, 2009

These memories will last... an eternity...

A string of fond indelible memories sharing with my online family...



age 1: Hot sultry Sunday afternoon. I am sitting on the dining table, playing with the mixer, containing green and white coloured chutney. Amma asks my cousin to look after me for a while. I wanna get down to the floor as I see my little cousin brother playing with my toy car. My cousin very very dedicated to my amma's words does not let me down. I smear my cousin's eyes with the chutney and jump down the table.

Amma runs barefoot to the doctor, with me crying uncontrollably in her arms, four stitches on my forehead , still visible. She taught me that the most powerful weapon on earth is a mother's pure unadulterated love for the child.




age 4: Me standing outside sandhi fancy stores, Mylapore, Chennai.. Getting attracted to a red and blue water bottle. I ask amma to get it for me that very instant. She refuses. I throw a tantrum.. she does not budge and walks away from the shop. I try going higher in pitch, hoping that would make her retrace her steps, I fail miserably and run behind her , finally catching her palloo. There she taught me, persistence and force does not always win..



age 6: This was when my sister was born. And its pretty natural to feel avoided and possessive over amma. I bite my hand with my own teeth and tell amma showing the teeth imprints that she did it. Amma knew it was me, but used to chide my sister, who did not even learn to walk properly and tell me I should be her best friend in all walks of life, be her guiding star always and love her. She taught me to love, truly from the heart, may it be for five minutes or fifty years, she taught me to love, without being ostentatious, without expectations, since expectations is always proportional to frustration.

age 12: Goa. Heavy vernal showers. Appa's office is 2km further down my school. My school at 8 and so is his office. Not one day has he dropped me in his car, though we start at the same time. I used to make holes in my raincoat and try to trigger sympathy waves but to no avail. Maximum he did was get me fresh raincoats every month. It was a three km walk from home. But now, I do not regret. He taught me reality is perennial, luxury is short lived


age14: Appa told me stories of Dasaratha and other mythological stuff.. I asked him when Dasaratha could have four wives, why cant you? That was the day he realised, I was born an iconoclast, and never thrust religion upon me, to date.
Its been my wish to be agnostic and they have never meddled with my feelings. He fed me with books, made me drink good music, experiment with physics and nature, and taught me until you burn your fingers, you never know what heat is.

age 15: Pre board exams. CBSE social science paper. It gave me jitters and nightmares. Never remembered dates, names places and tenures of Pres and PM. Stayed up all night and amma stayed up with me too, saying she aint sleepy, and kept giving me fresh filter coffee every two hours. She is the world's best mom whose care binds me to her forever.

age 18: Who said we cannot share certain things with mom? This is when I started discussing most datable guys, looks, crushes and err.. sex too. This is when she taught me: frankness forms the basis of any true bond.

age 22: Here I am now, on my amma's lap,.

feeling the freshness and tranquility of heaven, thinking of all these memories,thinking of my parents, as to how two perfectly contrasting characters can live so happily together.. They fell in love after marriage,which was coincidentally on Feb 14, even today, appa and amma go out on candle light dinner, go on a long drive, appa cooks at home on Sundays and falls ill when amma goes out of station They are a paradigm of a perfect couple, who drown their differences in the ocean of ceaseless love.Slowly I close my eyes, to the music of her bangles, when her hand caresses my hair fondly.

25 comments:

Hemanth Potluri said...

beautifully u have explained everything preeti...those memories are awesome...i have been into some past memories like this seeing keshi's post and now urs thanks to it...its good to know ur feeling's towards ur mom :)..lovely..

urs..hemu..

Anonymous said...

may 8th eludha vendiya post.. superappu...

Preeti said...

@hemanth
thanks a ton mate :)

@chriz
dates never matter :):) nad err.. you outta loo now ?:P

Richa said...

how cute.. this is a very very nice dedication to parents.. they bring us up with so many hardships nad we cant even thank them enuff..

missed ya :D

Love!!

GoodEarth said...

Beautiful post! well expressed!! hope ur mom & dad read this :)

iselldreams said...

awwwww
memories are really precious...
beautifully expressed:)

Preeti said...

@richa
glad you liked it babeh :):)

@good earth
thanks for visiting !!:)
come again..

@iselldreams
honored to see your comment :) thanks

hashim said...

good one sis.....as usual, well expressed ....got almost everything covered captain...short n sweet........

Joy said...

nice reading.... ur memories can may me feel how happily ur grown up... wonderful...

RiĆ  said...

hey tht was a beautiful post. :) Very touching and totally from the heart.

Preeti said...

@#M
thanks bhai :) great to see
your first comment :):)

@joy
thanks for visiting !!:)

@ria
hugzzzz :)

Sree said...

Beautiful...mazaa aagaya!! Do you show what you write (not all :P) to your amma??? if not, show this one, zaroor!! :D
So all along, you learnt...this is something i missed...so look at me, am an aging illiterate!! ;)
But...but...nonsense has sense in it too!! :P

Preeti said...

@sree
the moment I think of a synonym for you sree, the first word that comes to my mind is "nonsense" and so err.. pl don talk of sense in non(existing)sense :):)
thanks buddy !!:) err.. I show everything to amma.. but she has given up.. I am beyond human thresholds of correction :):)

Anil Sawan said...

you seriously remeber all those things tht hapened in ur life?? u gt a sharp memory babey!!!

and my love to ur dad nd mom :)

Keshi said...

beautiful post Preetz!

** I smear my cousin's eyes with the chutney and jump down the table.

lol very YOU!

Keshi.

Lancelot said...

semma postu... i am sure everyone wud have passed through these stages...

btw I am agnostic too

muthu said...

wow..... nice write ......

am happy 4 you.... :)

rarely do girls get parents like yours....

Preeti said...

@sawan
thanks buddy :)

@keshi
you know me well dontcha?? :)
HUGZZZ

@lancelot
join the agnostic club matey :)

@muthu
thanks for visiting !!:)

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to dedicate something like this to my parents, RIGHT NOW!!!

Beautifully expressed! Applause-Applause* :)

Preeti said...

@kido
I am really honored to have a new kido talented reader out here.. sure thing dear.. write soon !!:)

Annapoorani said...

Preeti,

I always like the way who write...
superb post...
loved the way you coined the words..
keep writing..

Preeti said...

@annapoorani
thanks for visitng and commenting !!:) good to have new readers :)

saravana babu said...

a nice stroll in the past both in yours and made mine too

Unknown said...

Man o man!! i dunno wat u call ya....sometimes u're like...Argghhh!!!n with this blog u're like wow!!!but on a serious note...i must say..very well written dearie..superb...our parents r the best teachers...n MOMS...nothing can replace them ...

S said...

amma madila... thungardu.. ahhh.. Swargam...!!!! n nuthin short of it...

Gr8 read..

Cheers...!!
S