Saturday, November 1, 2008

A Fine Balance Indeed

I fell in love again (click here to know about my first love). This time it is Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance. I totally surrender to such a towering masterpiece creator. From the cover page, which shows a 10 foot long vertical pole with a horizontal crossbow 9 foot from the ground, onto which a little five year old girl perches, her hand outstretched skyward and the pole sways precariously, being supported by nothing more than a man's thumb, a fine balance continues till the very end.

The introduction reads
Holding this book in your hand, sinking back in your soft armchair, you will say to yourself: perhaps it will amuse me. And after you have read this story of great misfortunes, you will no doubt dine well, blaming the author for your own insensitivity, accusing him of wild exaggeration and flights of fancy. But rest assured: this tragedy is not a fiction. All is true.

Mistry has stuck to his word to the dot. The 614 pages throw light on the realities of intricate lives of four people, Dina Dalal (a widow) , two cobbler turned tailors (Ishwar and Om) and a college student (Maneck), who struggle under the Emergency Regime during 1975. The things these four have in common are dignity, self-respect to live on their own and shut out mercy and sympathy, dregs of humanity which otherwise lost its meaning during those dark bleak days,a caring heart and of course inseparable poverty. I turned every single page saying, yeah life will get less complex, their checkered fates will change, things will be restored with smiles and hugs finally like in the usual movies and sitcoms, but was miserably wrong and ended up wetting my cheeks ( last time I had watered sockets was after seeing Sadma (Hindi) or Moondram Pirai (Tamil) , ten years back). This book also re frames the good old adages to Truth never Triumphs, What you sow is never what you reap, Honesty is not the best policy, Jaisi karni waisi nahin bharni. I wont call it pessimism but the simple fact of LIFE elucidated with a fine balance of love, honour, ego, sarcasm, laughter, hunger, anger, suspense,uncertainty and revenge.


When Dina gets to know of the fatal accident that killed her husband due for dinner , the dignity and poise with which she handled herself is extraordinary for words. All she said was that his food was still there, and that it should be given to the beggars in the corner of the street.

How the birth of daughters in upper castes and sons in lower castes brought upon beatings to the bearer and the child by the male chauvinists of the upper castes is a heart aching read.

A very nice thought saying " human face has limited space, if you fill the space with laughter , there wont be room for crying".

An irony dipped in humour when a quack tries to sell Potency Potions with the cries " Does it stand but not straight enough? is there a bend in the tool? Leaning left like the Marxist-Leninist party? To the right like the Jan Sangh fascists? Or wobbling mindlessly like the Congress party? Fear not for it can be straightened! Try my ointment and it will become hard as the government's heart!"

A crippled Shankar, who crawls along pavements collecting alms is one person with whom you cannot empathize. Not because you have an iron heart towards beggars, but because he never lets sympathy creep into you. He is a character blessed with a great sense of humour, optimism and helping tendency, notwithstanding the God's blessed physical impediment.



There are a few censorious parts in the book, where the fine hair line difference between love and lust is lost, the beautiful feeling is messed up conveying just Strip... Bang...Whewww..making you mindlessly flip through, albeit return after a while, to make sure you did not miss on something read worthy.


I have spent six sleepless nights now on this, not that I am a slow reader, but because I could not bring myself up to gulp down its magic and essence quicker than six nights. Brilliant English in which there is yet again, a fine balance of rich vocabulary not compromising on emotions that tumble down like a smooth waterfall. It is shortlisted for the Booker prize and I vote for it. I am not a good reviewer of books, this is my mediocre yet sincere attempt.This review made me buy the book and read it till the end. This is a must read for all those who breathe good books and also have the fire to become a writer. I warn you again, this is not a light read but truth in the crudest form which slaps you left right left.
To conclude, Rohinton Mistry -I SALUTE YOU

30 comments:

Nikhil Menon said...

u likes SEX in ria's space??ges tht was d coolest of it all..and yeah,same ere..nil practicals yet.. :p

Nikhil Menon said...

nice review of the book btw.. :)rock on!!

Richa said...

pre is tht u??
;)
gr8 review tht will make me buy the book as well..

Anonymous said...

dont use too much english.I dont read english books. I dont like to spend money and cry. I dont like review. Dont review any more books and waste time,no good to me.

Hemanth Potluri said...

rock on preeti no one gave give such aa wonderfull review just lovely ...all the imp parts covered :)...

urs..hemu..

Anonymous said...

Brilliant Review...Revs took to one level, and you took the same one to another level...at that level, (very high I know) Cheers!! :D
And who's this Anonymous...seems like he/she/whatever is talking from the grave...filter signals from the 3rd world buddy...its addictive!! :P

Praveen said...

now..THIS review eill make me buy this book and read it till the end:d

cool work

Praveen said...

@anonymous
then y waste your time commenting here? no one cares what you think:P

Preeti said...

@multimenon
thanks a lot !!:)

@richa
good yaar. Sure you ll love it too :)

Preeti said...

@anonymous
Dear he/she/it/combination of he and she and it,

your comment made me think. Everything you said is you DONT 'use' English (yeah, thanks for an eyeopener that English is a tissue, which can be 'used' and thrown) you DONT read English, you
DONT spend money , you DONT cry, you DONT like my review is there anything you actually DO???

and its MY space here and MY time. I DONT want your fucking ideas whether or not to review. It is upto my friends here to decide.

Preeti said...

@Hemanth
thanks for liking it buddy !!:)

@sree
thanks sree, I thought of not replying to the anony thingy, but got worked up :) CHEERS.. errr.. HIC!!:)

@praveen
my pleasure you liked it praveen :) ahh... the anony .. thanks for the support :)

Anonymous said...

As this author has a growing number of 'Anonymous' readers/fans, I decided to add myself to the band-wagon.

A fine review. And as you'll need no second guessing as to who this is (I assume you are that 'clever'), you know my take on it already.

---
And now to the other Anonymous...
- Looking at those 'donts'... Do you ever 'do' anything? Who cares abt what u 'do' or 'dont'. And who are we to do you a favour..? :P Ummm... You don't read English books. Yet you managed to read this review... What a loser! :P
---

Peace. :)

Anonymous said...

ok... By the time I wrote mine... So many filled in??? Never knew I could be that slow! :D

Preeti said...

@kartz @anonymous

I decided to add myself to the band-wagon.
You know I ll find you out anyways pseudo anonymous, the bandwagon of anonymous ppl are rotten. You dont deserve to be there :)

slow.. yet special :):)

thanks buddy :)

Anonymous said...

naaanum andha book padipein...

andha bookla joke, action, romance, matter and sentiments irukudhunu solreengalaaa?

vinny said...

Preeti kutty..roomba nalla review..naaanum mattu andha book padipein.. hey, hows my tamil ??

Tara said...

Good review! I have read his Family Matters and just loved it! Will sure catch up on this book too! And BTW, Sadma is one of my favorite movies too! Kamal Hassan & Sridevi duo just too good! Supramani kutti! :)

Preeti said...

@chriz
hmph :/

@vin
hey I love it when called preeti 'kutty' :) your Tamil rocks dear !!:) but naanum mattu illa maanum kooda :):) small correction, koi baath nahin :)
cheers !!:)

@tara
great minds think alike :) family matters is my next then buddy !!:) I take your word for it :)

Mana said...

Woow.. nice review..

Will buy the book soon :)

Black Panther said...

I'm no literature guy, but here's my piece of pie. (hey, sema rhyming la ;))

The salutation is on par or maybe better the creation.

Preeti said...

@manasa
thanks for dropping by !!:)

@black panther
wowowow!!! impressive man.. you too start blogging :)

Keshi said...

Sometimes I find myself struggling to strike a balance...sometimes Im overdoing it. :)


Excellent review here! Made me think alot Preetz.


Yes I agree...if we laugh more often, there wont be any space to cry. But sometimes I cry too much I cant rem how to smile...


*HUGZ*


Keshi.

Keshi said...

duhhh @Anon!

wut a bummer such boring ppl exist!

Keshi.

Anil Sawan said...

heeya, i got my next buy :-)

thnx for that review, it was gud enuf.

Anonymous said...

i guess no need to repeat it is such a nice review (oh i already repeated:P)
btw i quite enjoyed while reading the comments as well...ehehhe

Preeti said...

@keshi
thats so sweet of you :)
listen think of me (err.. though a dumb idea) when you are down !!:) my crazy posts will drive you crazier that you wont have time to cry :) HUGS :):P ahhh keshi FCUK the anony thingy...

@sawan
thanks buddy !!:)

@iselldreams
welcome to my blog !!:) glad you liked it :) thanks buddy :):)yeah, comments too are ahem..very very nice :):)

Rià said...

hey interesting!!i think i'll grab this book soon. :) And seems like u reall loved the book.

Preeti said...

@ria
yeah ria. its a wonderful read :) worth your money and even more :)

Anonymous said...

Hi.. That was a nice review!..have just got my hands on Family matters.. Waiting to read fine balance soon :)

Preeti said...

@happylife
thanks for dropping by :)