Friday, July 25, 2008

Mosquitoes....they "suck"...

Now you might wonder "has this girl gone really mad to write about mosquitoes of all things???", yes, you are absolutely right, a mosquito can drive any sane person crazy.
I am still stuck up in the wonderful land of nowhere, a village and i have not yet got accustomed to this luxury-less lifestyle( luxury in my dictionary means- having power and telephone connection at least 9/24 hrs a day, i.e, the time i am awake in a day).As usual yesterday night there was power cut. Usually i sleep off before the power cut so that i don't have to bear the tortures of the pest, god has bestowed me with the thickest skin ( perhaps the buffalo got the copyright stolen from me:)) so presence of the pest after i doze off does not make any difference. but yesterday, I was unfortunately awake till ten pm. As already said I got thick skin and am really very generous so I seriously don't mind them sucking my precious blood ( woh bhi kya yaad rakhenge yaar:P).
The problem comes when I am fighting with my pillow trying to get sleep, and they suck my blood and come and report promptly in my ears at a flap rate of 50/sec and say ,"see i just got stronger, thanks pal,I want just a little more",really gets me unnerved. I am 5.4" tall and fifty odd kgs but am really helpless and at the mercy of the weightless height less creature.
I don't have the dexterity to swat them away, I cant use all out as there is no power, I cant use HIT spray since they seem to have got immune to it, and if i use mosquito coils, my dad will disown me. He is allergic to its smell.
I did quite a bit of research on mosquitoes this morning and found out the following stuff about them:

Chemical sensors-
mosquitoes can sense carbon dioxide and lactic acid up to 100 feet (36 meters) away. Mammals and birds gives off these gases as part of their normal breathing. Certain chemicals in sweat also seem to attract mosquitoes (people who don't sweat much don't get nearly as many mosquito bites).

Visual sensors -
if you are wearing clothing that contrasts with the background, and especially if you move while wearing that clothing, mosquitoes can see you and zero in on you. It's a good bet that anything moving is "alive", and therefore full of blood, so this is a good strategy.

Heat sensors -
Mosquitoes can detect heat, so they can find warm-blooded mammals and birds very easily once they get close enough.

I just wish I could conquer those sensors and say "GOTCHA!!!!".
On the lighter side, when ever you are down or feel useless or feel you have not done anything great, compare yourself to the mosquito. At least you don't go about drinking people's blood and getting their wrath.If you have mercy on me and get a solution to this mosquito menace, please help!!!!

5 comments:

Expert Connect Team said...

This blog made an interesting read!Hats off to your honesty in admitting the fact that you wish to conquer mosquitoes!! I'm sure anyone who knows you well will appreciate your brave mind!(considering your stature and strength):) Atlast, I'm happy you have plunged into the battle field, for, you have just realised that mosquitoes are stronger than you ...Lol...

Sheks said...

All Out mosquito machine.If that doesn't work,try Odomos.

Preeti said...

I cant use all out as there is no power, I cant use HIT spray since they seem to have got immune to it, and if i use mosquito coils, my dad will disown me. He is allergic to its smell.
Anyways, thanks:) I'll check out if Odomos is available in this darn place :(

Black Panther said...

Super. But unfair. I want you to dedicate another blog entry for a creature with similar credentials - Cockroach. Of course, it doesn't bite you or suck blood, but shares one common base - an appearance and character that makes you wonder about the purpose of their existence. Mosquitoes announce in the ear. Just the sight of cockroach in the toilet is enough.

So make things even, be fair and dedicate one to cockroach.

Saran said...

hey i don think u ve done such a research even for ur engg course..